The laptop was beginning to crash on very regular occasions. Eventually i couldn't even browse the web without it crashing. I bought a new laptop and this one went in the cupboard.
Two years down the line I've decided to look what i can do with my old laptop after reading various articles. I decided to experiment with Linux as id never before tried it. I knew i needed something lightweight because of the overheating problems so i decided upon XUbuntu. First thought, I wanted to completely remove everything on the laptop. I've found a program called DBAN which is essentially a boot disk. It boots DBAN and gives you a few options from zeroing the drive to complete annihilation. I wanted the drive to still be usable so I've gone for the zeroing. The laptop overheated during this process. So I raised the laptop using the TV remote to let more air get to the vents. This time it worked a charm. When booting the laptop you get the message no operating system installed. Perfect.
I created a boot CD for XUbuntu on my windows 7 laptop and used it to boot my craptop. It began to install and i could feel the excitement mounting. After installation i booted the Acer and i really liked what i saw. From the load screen to the desktop menus, the whole thing looked very stylish. I googled for essential things to do with a fresh install of XUbuntu and began the learning process. I was very impressed i must say. I probably used the laptop in excess of 4 hours that first time and the laptop was almost cold to touch. There was life in the old girl yet. Now I just have to decide what to use my Linux based laptop for. I would like to turn it into a terminal for programming/learning to code etc but i need to do more research on that. If you know of any good ideas then please feel free to leave a comment below.


No comments:
Post a Comment